Pages

Thursday, November 29

Work is piling at the office, and creating tension and causing hunger pangs. There is not suppose to be any correlation between hunger and tension, kan?. Probably if Einstein was still alive, he might use me as a lab rat, for this experiment. And we might, together bag the Nobel Prize. Muahaha.
Did you guys know that, I've had a few problems in communicating with Irish people? Simply because, they would simply put adverbs at the end of their sentence, and an answer for you . For example:
1) Mimi, are you gonna go to the pub like? No? (it's their way , of wanting you to say yes)
I was thinking in my head.Like what? and why are you suggesting that I'm not going?

2) It's raining like.(but they are actually just making a statement!)
Again, I'd say, raining like what? cats and dog izzit? Bak kata Cikgu BM, ayat tergantung!

It's funny to hear them say that, and you have to adapt to their ways, instead of our typical Malaysian English, where we say: "Hey, Mimi, are you like gonna go to the pub?" or " Like hello, it's raining". Yes, both the Irish slang and Malaysian slang are said in the same exact tone.

But one thing good though, the way the Irish think aloud, makes them sounds smarter than us. Imagine, when bombarded with questions, that you are unsure of, you'd be "Aaaaaa....",Gobsmacked, and literally your jaw drops,and you have a thinking aloud expression.,
But, when you speak to the Irish, and adapt to their ways, you'd mutter this instead, "Emmmm", literally the M word.And the longest M, you will ever hear. when I write this, I didn't ask you to pronounce it ok!! I can hear you people trying the M word, while giggling at yeeself.. Honestly, to me, it does sounds more brilliant , than our usual "Aaaaa."ngaga mulut chek no!!

And I'll share with you guys, one embarassing counter I had, with a colleague of mine. I was, trying to be all polite and courteous with her, because, we were the only two people in the office. " Hey babe, what time are you going back?". She looked, all puzzled, as though I was asking what colour is her underwear. And I shot a look back at her. And finally,I think she got my drift, and replied " Oh, what time am I heading home you mean?". Then I tersipu-sipu malu, I said, Ah, yeah, what time are you going home?".
Then it hit me. Our Manglish way of saying I'm going back, does not make any sense. A friend once asked, " Huh, what back, which back are you talking about?". They all thought, that back means, backside..Geddit? Hillarious ok!

I can go on and on, about our language differences, that at first, I find terribly funny when I use it, but, by NOT using it, will only make you less accepted. Haha. And, as we all know, Asians, are thought to be just hush-hush about things, and just reply with a yes or no or, just mutter an OK under your breath. But, no, the Matsalleh, will give you the most complimenting/suck up/over(vateva you want to call it la, senang citer, poyo lah). When asked a question that you manage to answer." Ahhh, that'S BRILLIANT!!....that's GRAND!!!". If you put Grand infront, you'd get GRAND BRILLIANCE. Hahaha, sorry buat lawak lawaking pulak.Hahah..



And, don't be fooled by their timing either. In school, we were thought to say 10.30 pm as " Teacher, the time is Ten Thirty."
A'a, not here, you'd be hearing, "It's HALF TEN.". I always, get the dirty look whenever I say, it's ten thirty, so now I'm used to saying Half ten. But, that only got me thinking deeper. How do they say 10.45pm then? "Teacher it's THREE QUARTER TEN?!:

4 comments:

Shah Baharudin said...

probably you say it "quarter to eleven?"

might have known that already, and I just messed up your joke aye? haha

Anonymous said...

i was just about to comment on ur 'three quarter pounder.. oppss ten' but someone else was way ahead of me..

nway dont miss me aite... i'll be away for the rest of the week... selamat meng'aawwwdit' patronus ye!

Anonymous said...

ala..shah you rosakkan my jokesss laaa!!! u ruin it!!! hhahahha..i mean yeah eveyone knows it..malaysians imean

paperheART said...

aarrgghhh!!! u made me say mMMmmmmMmm...