We were invited over to our neighbor's house for a game of Dart, no, no not Dart the train, but Dart the shooting game. Honestly, I've never really played serious Dart before, but Ballin thought us the real deal in the game.Ok, I never did get a bull's eye, but the highest point I could collect was only 63.,Not that bad, considering the highest, one can score is 180.
From shooting darts, we moved on to drink coffee, made by Chi, the old dude, who is crazy. He can't speak english for peanuts, but he used sign language, which was pretty wicked, and we ended up laughing at him, not WITH him.Get it?
From coffee, and Ballin putting on Pulp Fiction, Marton and Elizabeth came home from their Night Walk. I have just only met Marton yesterday, a grizzly beard he has,which I would mistaken as someone from the middle east.Anyway, so what started as "Where are you from?" question, led on to a more serious talk and reviews and explanation on religion and culture.
On Islam and Christianity, we exchanged thoughts and experiences. He asked questions that I would have expected out of any Non-Muslim person. There, I was, being forced into being a small ambassador for my country and my religion, with what little knowledge I have..Only to find out later , that he studied History back in his college years, and had quite an extensive knowledge on other cultures and religions.bummer
So the first thing he asked was about Man marrying four wives, as he had a friend who is a Muslim, and is in "that" dilemma. So, I explained to him thoroughly, through my bit of reading and understanding, how a man must be able to provide equally, to all four wives, his wealth and batin. And, the main reason why a man was allowed to marry more than one back then, was because he wanted to help out the less fortunate women or if the first wife is baron. He was satisfied with my answer, and agreed about being equal. But I don't think the girlfriend wasn't too happy with the answer.Hehe.
He then asked about our daily ritual, our 5 times prayers and the fasting month. He specifically mentioned that we pray on the sejadah, and I explained that it was because we needed a clean surface to perform our prayers. He agreed about praying more than just on Sundays, and that yes we should pray on a daily basis, but didn't agree with a specific amount of times. I'm glad that when he asked me those questions, I could answer without sounding ignorant or stupid.
So we invited Marton,Ballin and Elizabeth to our house for dinner, just to explain and introduce to them the type of food we consume. He is aware that we consume only Halal meat, because he had a few Muslim friends back in Serbia. "Insyallah," was his reply. We were more than impress with him.
Yes, it felt good knowing that for once,(or twice), these are not the typical matsallehs who only thinks all asians are chinese or koreans, and that there's more religions and cultures out there. However, as much as I'm glad that I could answer his queries(like how i answer the stupid auditor's queries), I know I still need to learn or read up on other European culture. Because I can be what you call a typical Asian, where all Westerners eat only pasta and bread, and have their country are known for their museums and statutes. But, hey, I know that the Japanese bow out of respect, and the Indians shake their head as a way of saying yes, and the Pinays says Mabuhai.
And as for Malaysians, we say Selamat Datang and Terima Kasih. :D. and OK LAH! PAK LAH!
1 comment:
First you must acquire knowledge. But knowledge without application is as good as no knowledge. When you have applied the knowledge, you get results. The results tell you what works and what don't. When results don't work, you go back to knowledge to find out why. Then you apply back the knowledge and look at the result again. When you do this, you will always grow - mentally, jangan physically
Post a Comment