I have never felt the impact of being a Malaysian, up until a few seconds ago and the event that occured yesterday at the library. I have read countless of times in blogs, in articles,(read;everwhere) where locals condemn/critisize the ways of our government( which includes the on-going criticism on our poor English).
Be surprise fellow readers, as you should be thankful for our edcuation system which stresses on students studying hard to excel. No I'm not saying that our system is 100% good either. But, here are some of my observations (on both local and other foreigners ) and feedbacks that I've received over the couple of months since I've been here.
1-Most of the local teenagers are too tied up in getting a job at the coolest stores, you can actually count how many are there in a class of 90. (There's only 10 in my class!!) . And we, foreigners are flooding their universities. I can imagine if there's no us, foreigners, the classes would be dead empty, and thus Universities can't milk on our money.
2-Since I've had experiences in local Uni back home, I can say(though I can;t help but complain either) that our students are in fact more advanced technologically. There's not one person in my batch of 200 in uitm who doesn't know how to use a THUMB DRIVE or a PEN DRIVE .
And yes, there is still someone who is in my 'college(not Malaysians!)', who still doesn't know how to use one!!. I guess because we have always been comparing ourselves to Singaporeans and Americans, we tend to think that our technology is back dated. But heck, at least I was taught well!
3-Most of them do not know how to use the Internet for research purposes. They can't even google for the Topic they have just learned! Oh MY! And I swear by the Internet!
4-And I am super excited and happy and contented with HSBC Local Banking ( ok, fine it's not purely Malaysian, but), I called the Helpdesk at 11.15pm(Ireland time), which is 7.15am Malaysian time, and one of their employees picked up the phone! I was rather shocked that at 7.15 am, someone has started working, and has tended to my needs.Hardworking giler!
5-They can't over the fact that we Malaysians can speak English so well, despite our American accent. Huh? And I thought we follow the Queen's English!?
And finally this,(although unrelated to us studying hard in school)
My college has just emailed me, informing me that they have lost my academic transcripts. I was, speechless, I thought those things doesn't happen to institutions here. (Although I still do not agree with my former Alma Mater's admin either!)
Malaysia tanah airku, but in the pursuit of knowledge, experiences and exposure of the Western ways, I brave this Bad English Weather, with a muffler around my neck!
2 comments:
HSBC is 24 hours.. hehe and do you know Ireland is considered the most globalized country in the world.. US is at 17th.. I think it must be the foreigners in Ireland..hehe..
and people in US tell me I have a Brittish accent.. maybe we are between the two great worlds of accent.. ahah!
That anonymous was me, Sham.. ;)
Post a Comment