Last weekend my father held his primary school reunion at our house down in Subang Jaya. We were all told to get up by 8 am to help out around the house and to be great hosts. RIGHT. Yours truly was assigned to rake the fallen leaves around our huge garden. If there is one thing I hate, it is not gardening, but being bitten by mozzies. It is worse when they bite you at hard to reach places like between your toes. Imagine a pregnant woman trying to scratch her toes, kesian ok, but yeah why would she be out there gardening in the first place right?
Anyway, it is funny how when you are abroad you embrace Autumn because of its withered leaves but you need to get rid of them here in Malaysia. Why can't we sit on the grass and have scones kuih keria too? And then upload them on facebook or twitter or what other social networking sites there are to show our beautiful poses? Which I did upload up on twitter but only to rant about having to rake the leaves at 8 in the morning.
My supermother, with the help of our maid and my aunt's maid hardworkingly made Laksa Johor and Nasi Lemak for 40 guests for breakfast. Totally awesome, like how often do you get to eat early lunch, late breakfast which are palm licking good, for free and home cooked? My brothers, my SIL and I were designated waiters and waitresses. We helped to arrange the food on the table and to serve Coffee if anyone wants any. It turns out that 80% of them wanted coffee!. Heh, I forgot, I am serving the OLDER crowds, of course they want coffee! *slaps forehead*
I've met some of my Dad's friends from his Tumpat days. The most prominent name being Uncle Wee and his wife who never fails to ask of my wellbeing. These are all his friends from his primary school days. I don't know how he managed to still keep in contact with them despite not having handphones or facebook then ? My primary school went by in a brief. Well I am still in contact with some friends from primary school only because the Internet was already around when I was 12, so it wasn't that difficult. But uh, reunion with them? Probably not since really, we aren't as close anymore.
So how come my Dad is still close with his primary school friends, some even from Standard 1 (7 years old). Noticed how I can't stop saying primary school friends? I'm still in awe, that's why!. I remember this one girl in Standard 1 who shit in her skirt and played dumb about it, until another friend shouted in class "Eyeeee teacher, what is that under her chair?" We were all told to "evacuate" the classroom. There she was, probably embarassed by the whole situation, but she kept her head held high and continued colouring. Lesson learnt, SHIT HAPPENS, BUT LIFE HAS TO GO ON! I totally learned that at a very young age didn't I?
I also remember my Standard 1 teacher's name, Mrs Melanie Ann Rose. She was a very petite teacher who asked me if I was Fasting , on one Ramadhan month. I looked at her and back to my bun and looked at her again. Sensing that I couldn't understand what she meant by Fasting, she quickly asked "You tak PUASA ke?" The thing with being in a private school where the medium of conversation is mostly in Malaysian English, I had to learn "bombastic" words (by my standards that is ) at a young age. I remembered this girl told me when I was in the toilet with her "Eyeee somebody urinated here , there's urine of the floor". I was like "Whattttt!!?" Then she pointed to a pool of pee on the floor and that is how I figured out what urine is. I mean it is not my fault right, our teachers and parents taught us the word "Shi shi" to pee and "Pass motion" to defecate. I wonder now, do you guys use the same words as I did? I suppose because it is rude to be telling people what you want to do or what u did in the toilet that we come up with fancy terms instead!
No comments:
Post a Comment