Pages

Wednesday, May 5

Mind your language.

On a presumably hot afternoon a few years ago, I saw my late grandmother (Mek) eating cucumbers. Knowing her and her liking for kuih muih, I stopped and asked her:

Me: Mek, bakpo Mek make timung ja? (mek, why are u eating cucumbers?"
Mek: "Jange dok ghoyak deh, mek sughuh Kak Im potong buoh timung ko Mek, dio wi Mek timun"  
Me: Hahahahaha. Yo ko Mek?

For all you non- Kelantanese speaking Malaysians, Buah Timun Cina is Watermelon.  And Kak Im was our Indonesian helper who has since, improved her Bahasa Malaysia and a bit of Kelantanese during her 7 years of employment with us.

When my sister asked Mama (our current helper ) for a polka-dot shirt, she came back with a stripey shirt. "Iyalahhhh ini tee sirt polka dotnya ya Ila." 

We all have the tendency to assume that Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malaysia is the same. Haha.

3 comments:

Babe said...

mimi, i plant to go to Galway... kalau tak keberatan maybe nak tumpang satu malam di Dublin tapi kena tgk schedule kau dulu tau.

ARZ said...

Mimi,

There's a tinge of sadness for me reading this short episode.

I missed Mek.

oops did I just say that? said...

Babe: Mana kau menghilang? Anyway boleh je, kau plan datang bila? Email aku detail. Sebab July 1-JUIly 4th aku kt London. Tumpang dua-tiga malam pun takpe.

Abanh:Sorry, didn't mean to. You know I like to remember fond memories of everybody. I miss her too!