Pages

Thursday, November 19

Do not forget your roots Episode 1

Signs that I have not forgotten my roots and trying not to adapt too much of the Irish culture.

1) I still go home to nasi putih,ayam goreng rempah and sambal belacan after a cold winter's day. For the benefit of non-malay speaking readers, that is boiled rice,fried chicken and shrimp paste sambal oelek thingamajic.

2) I bring lunch to the office in a TUPPERWARE and alternatively in the SWORDSMAN tupperware. I grew up in the Tupperware Party era and in any case I still call 'it' a tupperware. and a tumbler.I think that is just a brand name. Am I the only one who still have a soft spot for tupperwares?

3) Although I would sometimes eat Mac and Cheese and the likes of it, I would never forget injecting some Asian Fusion into my dish. Read:Sambal Ikan Bilis jenama Ma'at. For you living abroad like me, that is the best ready to go sambal ikan bilis ever as it comes in pocket size. (In case orang lain nak, ckp takde, pastu sorok dalam poket.)

4)I still answer to How's it going? although I've learned thorughout the years that How's it going is a greeting , not a question.

5)I still get excited that Marks and Spencer shower gel only costs €1.15 a bottle but is selling for RM15-RM20 in KL.

6)I still do not answer rudely to questions imposed by sometimes the rude male auditors(actually sorang ni je matsalleh aku sakit hati). Neither do I say No when asked to help out in any events. Matsallehs will tell you that they are busy and cannot help you right in your face.

But I'm able to address my superior colleagues by their first names instead of Boss/Encik/Abang/Puan/Kakak. And that was one of my biggest challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kak mimi~~
i want dat shower n gel..
ehe~~