So the much awaited weekend has finally arrived. See, although I'm not the typical 20 something year old girl who looks forward to partying during weekends,I appreciate having my Friday nights and slightly late Saturdays.So what if it's merely just banging on the Guitar Hero Tour set?
See there was a the P3 class last Sunday and then the normal Tuesday class and then GCD decided that that's not enough,and they thought, heck why not give them a lecture on Friday as well? What you think Konon-konon sebagai bakal accountant bertauliah , we can do something to tackle the fraud? Oh screw the recession!
Speaking of screwing, ( hey let's just skip the recession terms and leave it to the super G20 guys to inject the 1trillion).I blatantly asked the shop assistant if she could 'screw it' for me.My spectacles, I meant. Both the male and female shop assistants burst out laughing, and upon noticing my somewhat slit eyes and brown skin, decided to be a little bit more diplomatic and chuckled, while I ran to the chair to dig in my handbag for my spectacles. Then it hit me, the term 'screw' I had used, was considered a profanity.Yes I was aware what screw could mean, and I realised how Malaysian I sounded. Not that I was acting like I was Irish.But, haa hamek kau Mimi.Malu situ.I was just used to the Malaysian way.
Scene 1
A typical malaysian: Akak, awak boleh tolong skru cermin mata saya tak?
Akak; Boleh, boleh.
(She obviously understood that she needed to tighten the screw?bolt and nut? of my spectacles.)
So when I found my spectacles finally, I asked if she could tighten the screw/bolt nut thingy, in which she replied yes. I was laughing under my breath too, at the thought of scaring the two shop assistants unintentionally. So untuk mengcover cun/malu, I decided to ask about contact lenses and spectacles. See I have this bit of knowledge of toric lenses and my multifocal spectacles. I have been wearing them since I was 6.The spectacles yer.So heck, at least I didn't sound as dumb as the first sentence I spoke.
My teacher told me the reason why I had astigmatism was because I read under the light.But my book covering the light. I was smart but stupid at the same time. I had listened diligently to teachers in kindergarten and school telling you that "Kamu kena membaca di bawah lampu yang terang". So membaca di lampu yang terang I did, but what i did wrongly was to lie on my back, the book held slightly above my eyes and thinking, wow, I'm reading. I'm a big girl now. You know how kids are, always addressing themselves with the 'I am 5 and a half years old' to feel old. I wish I could say now that I'm 23 and a half.
Anyway my Ibu told me that I had taught myself to read by listening to my siblings and then spelling it out myself. She remembered finding me in her room, di atas katil, dibawah lampu, mengeja "Be Ay Ba, Tee Yu Tu. Batu. Of course I couldn't remember about the batu, but one thing for sure, I remembered my first Enid Blyton book which my mom bought for me in Yaohan while waiting for my brother. She said that she could would give me RM 1 if i could finish the book.Mind you, I was in Std 1. It was a transformation from going to the Kiddies section to the section where your Moms would bring your elder siblings to. I felt like the kid sister who was finally accepted into the 'Adult' world.
I did not receive the RM1 becauseI still couldn't understand books without pictures.
So while my sister pretended to have finished reading hers to get that RM1, I steadily read the Din Tukang Satay and Tikus book.The book which my second brother had borrowed from his school library. At least the mouse sold satay infront of his hole. And my second brother would read the Din Tikus story to us before we all finally asleep.I don't think he ever returned it to the library.
1 comment:
whoa...really reminiscing. Sadly, I cant recall any of those. I do of-course recall telling you the story of people lost in the cave and never found their way out...till today! Kesian kan. And every night you eagerly waited for the repeats. Kesian Kan!
Post a Comment