Pages

Wednesday, April 1

Ada apa dengan Baju Hijau? Pt 1

I wondered why she chose the pale green shirt for her first day in the office. I knew she wanted to look her most presentable on the first day, and hopefully for the days to come.They say first impression counts, but I truly believe that it only applies during an interview.

And maybe just like me, she did not have her mother by her side advising her what to wear and what not to wear on her very first day of her very first job. The funny thing is that, when you hit your early 20's, you run to your mother for fashion advice on official occassions. And she will happily instruct you to tuck in your shirt into your slacks. I remembered that it went back as far as my kindertargen days where I had to use a pinafore. Yes, you get the drill, shirts tucked neatly into the skirt .

I was taught early in my childhood that if you are fat like me, tucking in your tshirts into your drawstring pants, would be the only way to save your humiliation. I should have detest! And yes, wearing your socks high up (to cover your scabies (kudis) ) does not come close to looking like a cute cheerleader .Lagi-lagi when you have big untamed curly hair and thick huge spectacles.

Anyway, back to the story of the new employee at my office. She had the same response and same relieved sigh as I had when I was asked "how are you" about a year and a half ago. Now I can tell if someone has been here long enough . Especially if they answer with a "I'm grand, not too bad now, and yourself?". In which the other party will start of by saying that they are " "Grand, grand" and then the longest Emmmmmm and yeah you will ever hear.

I notice that we, when I say we, means the general Rakyat in Malaysia do not usually ask how are you or how are you doing to the people they have just met or even to friends. We would tend to say the usual hellos and the proceed to business. Even if it's minding other's business.

Scenario 1:
Mak Melor:Cik Kuntum, Pekaboooo? (sambil hulur tangan bersalaman,tetapi tujuan sebenar nak tunjuk gelang emas)
Cik Kuntum:Kabo baik lah cik Melor oi. (sambil peluk cium angin, mata pandang dalam rumah Mak Melor, nak usha perabot baru).
Cik Kuntum lagi: Ni ha, kau tau anak si Leman blablabla.....
(perasan tak dia terus bergossip, takder pun tanyer kabar si Mak Melor ni)

So she had worn her pale green shirt. And so I wore my best striped grey and green shirt on my very first day, with a brown suit that was a hand-me-down by my aunt. My shiny court shoes were also a present from her. The only thing that was mine was the shirt, which I had bought with my then measly "salary" of RM300 from my internship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kesian org baru trying to look her best to impress.sedey kan mi teringat masa masa tu dulu,waaah.........not anymore....