1 Malaysia, the slogan that's been heard and seen across the National radios and television is the brainchild of our Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak for Malaysians to think of ourselves first as Malaysians then our race. The idea behind it is also to promote ethnic harmony and and unity amongst all the major races in Malaysia.
I welcome the idea wholeheartedly but before we truly accept this concept, what I see most Malaysians fail to do, is understanding the cultures and religion that comes with the races. I'm being generic when I say this, but we Malays tend to get offended when other Non-Malays eat Pork in front of us, but do we stop and think about the Beef we are eating in front of a Hindu or a Buddhist follower whose religion does not permit them to consume Beef? Or even worse, eating any kind of meat in front of a vegetarian? No we don't.
I'm saying this because I'm experiencing a whole lot of cultural difference at my office at the moment. At the moment my closest colleague is a Buddhist girl who doesn't eat Beef. I accidentally ordered a Beef sandwich once when we went out for lunch, I apologised and tried my best not to eat it , facing her. Likewise when we decided to pack our lunch from home , she had brought a dish with pork in it and warned me in advance. She would apologise first and although we would still be sitting at the same table, she does not feel comfortable sitting right in front of me. Understanding each other's most basic "requirements" would call for racial unity.
But my other colleagues don't get why although there are other Chinese and Malay girls, we don't just stick to our own "people". I'm comfortable with anyone of a different race and my dad could probably attest to that. I believe it is because of the many friends I had back in primary school . It is also the same case for her, because she was in the normal Government school, she's had her mix of friends from other races. She knows her Malay words well, well, not to the extent of Dalam Hati Ada Taman kind, but enough to be above than the average Joe. But because there are not many Malays who can speak English in a very Malaysian Chinese way, my Chinese colleagues thought I could actually understand Cantonese.
To be honest, that's how I've been mingling with them. To be part of a team, you have to be like them. Let them believe that I can understand Cantonese. But, what they don't know is that, I only understand basic Cantonese and the foul words. It's not my fault that that's what the kids in school taught me then! Before I give you and example of the words I know, let me go on about the Malaysian Chinese english that I talked about earlier.
- "I don't know how to do this leh"
- "You don't know how to do this meh?"
- "She dowan (don't want) maa"
- "I dunno (don't know) lar"
Many non Malays, I have heard, who tried to talk this way, always get these words used wrongly. I have been told by my Chinese friends that I seem to be able to use them at the correct places. My dad fails in trying to use these words correctly. He would say " I dowan meh", although I have taught him many times. To some, learning this art of speaking is a waste of time, but let me tell u this, it will help you a lot in your business in Malaysia.
Coming back to the Cantonese that some think I can speak. The trick is, I know some basic words, and so if they are talking about something and I manage to catch some of the words that I know, I can tell what they are talking about. I'm especially good in the bad words department. Anyway, here's an example of what they did/said in training class that I could join them all together in a laugh. When the trainer told all of us to create folders on the drive with our names, one of the boys renamed the files as such:
1- Si Fat Jackson
2- Ah Kua Peter
3-Siew Jie Jessica
4- Leng Chai Lawrence
I had a good laugh together with them, but I did notice some of them looking at me, curious whether I truly understood what was on the screen. And yes I do.
to be continued.
6 comments:
more people shd be like you and me and our families, only then the 1Malaysia thing will truly work. Its sad to see that the integration between races were far better during my times of schooling compared to now,when naturally following that suit , we now shd not have any "race" issues. All my kids and me have non malay as our good friends , I hate to say this but I dont mix well with malays, given exception to few .. and some would ask me how come I can kutuk the melayu since I am one? heehe I am an anak mami babe, bukan melayu LOL
I know lar!
Tonite don't be late hor
Your Dad
(still learning)
Curious question, forgive me. Why be afraid to eat beef in front of a Hindu, or pork in front of a Muslim - as long as one is not asking them to eat it? Sorry, I just have never come across this in America and I find it interesting. Is it offensive to eat the food in front of them, even, in Malaysia?
That's interesting - I wouldn't have any problems eating beef in front of a Hindu, or meat in front of a vegetarian. It'd be offensive to offer it to them, or invite them over and not have options!
I believe we still have a long way to go for integration, but we're on the right road there!
AJ: yes I'm glad that I too, have no problems integrating!
Dad: still need a long way!
Almostclever: To be honest, most malays that I know feel offended when a non-muslim eat pork infront of them. I guess it's because we were taught since young that as Muslims we cannot hold and eat pork/pigs, so we try to stay away from pigs/pork as far away as possible.
Aida: You don't? I somehow do feel a bit bad for eating in front of them..That's just me although they always tell me they don't mind. But I know a lot of malays get offended when non muslims consume pork infront of them.
Good to know! Thanks for explaining :)
Post a Comment