Pages

Wednesday, March 9

Poppadums!

 I bring my lunch from home because I am on a low carb (no rice except for Saturdays or Sundays) diet. Living in Malaysia means Nasi nasi nasi nasi campur for lunch. Unless you are earning the big bucks, you can have your salmon steak for RM21. Unfortunately I am not paid by the puluh ribu just yet, so if I don't bring my own lunch, not only will my body suffer the consequences, my wallet will too eventually.

 All these while I complain about the lack of lunch menu in Dublin (because I eat Halal meat) and that I was sick of eating cold tuna and roll and was always wishing if they would serve Halal meat one day. All I talk about was how difficult it was to find halal meat , but I could still eat all the seafood I wanted.

 But it never occurred to me how difficult it is for someone who is vegetarian to live in Malaysia. Yes there are pure vegetarian restaurants in KL now, but they are not that many. I recently found out that one of my colleagues is a vegetarian because of her religion and boy do I feel bad for her during lunch because there aren't many vegetarian options in Cyberjaya. And it made me realise one thing, we are insensitive when it comes to food. We forget about others!

Okay the serious stuff aside, I had lunch with my friend today in a Mamak restaurant which of course serve PLUS RICE (Nasi Campur). So this white man came, you know how they tend to be bigger in size than the average Asians right, got down to business like a G6, I mean like a pro, took all the fish head curry, fried sotong, sayur campur and a plate of poppadums. POPPADUMS! So cute! He must have subtituted Poppadums for his usual crisps! When the waiter (Aney) came to get his drink order, in serious English nevermind the accent, the Aney asked

"Sir, what would you like to drink sir? We have carrot juice, apple juice, coke everyThing"

The white man looked up at him and said "TEH O ICE SATU"..Just like a seasoned Malaysian!

I actually thought that was cute because I kept imagining my ex-colleagues doing the same thing!!

1 comment:

ARZ said...

3 scoops of Baskin Robbins pleaz