It has been such a fun and interesting week, both on a professional and personal level to which it reminded me of why I wanted to return to Malaysia in the first place.
I know I have not really spilled any news or update you guys how my interviews went, Alhamdulillah they have been successful. However there are a lot of thoughts and considerations that I have to make. The way everything in this country works is so different from I've used to..obviously. So as it is with all my previous posts, my thoughts, experiences and comparisons will be penned down as below.
1) Malaysian companies scrutinize each and every certificates, qualifications that you have. They want to see the actual piece of paper whereas in Dublin, none of the companies I interviewed with ever asked to look at any of certificates or my results. I guess they work on a trust and professional basis. Professionals are suppose to be ethical and not lie about their qualifications and experiences. The downside, there are some individuals, unfortunately who are Malaysians abuse the trust and lie.
From the points above, it is no wonder a lot of the foreign system cannot be implemented here. Take for example the Tram/Luas in Dublin. You are suppose to purchase the ticket first before boarding the Luas and the inspectors check for your tickets randomly. Say out of ten times, you probably get checked once. People are suppose to be honest and ethical. So tell me what happens if they implement such system in Malaysia...will the company go bankrupt on its first year?
2)Malaysian companies get you to fill in all the details about your family members, job occupations and age before the interview. I don't see the relevance, unless I have a family member working in the same company then it is different. Even then, all they have to do is ask you. In Dublin, they don't care, what matters is you. I hope they don't retain all the information I have filled in by the way. They get you to fill in your results again, eventhough you have clearly stated it on the CV.
3) The HR expects you to bring your CV again even though you have submitted your CV to them. I never did have to bring a thing when I went for interviews there. The HR would have printed my CV and all I needed to do was sell myself. But being the Asian me, obviously I still brought along my datuk nenek moyang resume n certs, just incase they wanted to see them.
4) So far none of the companies asked me what my strength and weaknesses are. Most of the companies in Dublin I interviewed before asked me that. Well to me, that's a personal thing, it's up to the interviewer how I answer to the different questions being asked.
Sorry that went a bit long, but it was one of the things that the interviewer asked me this morning. What is the major difference about Malaysia and Dublin. I know I can go on and on, but all I can say is that the Malaysian system is very thorough.
Anyway, I'm still undecided because yesterday while I was in the midst of a siesta, that Oil&Gas company called me, although the previous agent told me if they didn't call you in a week's time, it means they are not interested. So I had lost all faith, until yesterday (after I came back for an interview with another company) the HR of the Company called me, almost 3 weeks later and I had a phone interview with her. At the end of it, she informed me if the Hiring Manager decided that I was shortlisted (again), they will send me an assessment test that needs to be done. But...............in 2-3 weeks time. Ai celakaa betul since I have already been offered a job that starts in March!
Homaigod am I ready for employment??????????
4 comments:
i totally agree, the paper is so important here .. i have seen a person with 15yrs of experience being turned down and job given to a fresh graduate with degree , a candidate that cant even spell properly ..
AJ: hahaha yeah it's just so weirdddd....
Good luck on your job hunt!
Thanks Sarah!
Post a Comment