My days of snapping every single thing that I see potential to be blogged about are close to over. I don't know if being back home has made me that much lazier, or lugging around my camera (eventhough it is not a dslr) a hassle.
Oh,wait, it must be my camera. Every other person has a dslr, so what is mine compared to theirs? This is what you call camera shy.
Anyway, I visited one of my relatives in Kuala Lumpur. If you must know, KL is not only a city but there are still a few old settlements and villages right smack in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. She is renting in a small place, behind a mosque for about Rm100 a month. Since it will be my Acu's birthday this March, we went to give some cash to be distributed among the kids there. It is a tradition that started from my grandmother who would donate cash for each of our birthday. But you know what it is funny? She used her own money. LOL. I think it should have been our own money, but oh well, we were still not earning!
Anyway, it's funny how the high rise condominiums and apartments that surround KLCC are at sky high prices. The developers are charging for the close proximity of KLCC and other famous landmarks, but right behind her kitchen, you have a full view of KLCC. She even told me that while going about your business number 2, you can see KLCC. Eh KLCC just behind my jamban!
It is only when I visit my mom's relatives do I hear real time Johoreans speaking. I mean, usually Johoreans, they don't have any different dialects from the normal Bahasa Malaysia, unlike the people from the north and the east coast, but they combine normal Bahasa words that we don't usually use.
'Kita bubuh kari dan tidak". I had to ask my aunt what she meant by Dan Tidak. She told me it meant "Put the curry More or Less". I mean Dan Tidak means And No, so I was that bit confused.
"Ni lagi mana ni tadi?". She wanted to know where we were from. In normal Bahasa it would have been Dari Mana because Lagi means Some More. I pity Englishmen trying to understand Bahasa from the Johoreans.
I'm not sure if this one caters to all Johoreans, but my grandmother used to address Abang to her elder female relatives. Bear in mind that Abang means big brother.
Anyway, their languages aside, the thing I love about the Johor are the Tembosa. Other Malaysians call it Karipap or Currypuff. But Tembosa tastes so much better than your ordinary karipap. And the Ice Kacang Coklat by the sea. foodgasmic! Why am I talking about food yet again? Because I'm heading to Johor and Singapore this Saturday. Wohooo!!
4 comments:
singgah Plentong ??
I love this post! :) My husband's relatives are from Sandakan, and most of the people we went to college with spoke KL slang, while my hubs best friend is from Kelantan. I have to say, the Kelantanese dialect is completely out of my range as someone who is still learning. Johor dialect would be even harder! lol
tak ramai tau tembosa...hahahah
" dan tidak " tu lawak but it's true tho.hahahaha
AJ: sorry we were in a rush that day..balik kejap jee
Sarah: Hahahah they are alright yeah but can be confusing!!
Faizul: nenek i mmg panggil tembosa..heheh
Post a Comment