There is a huge deal about Muslims celebrating Valentine's Day. The religious authorities are banning Muslims from celebrating this day. For me, it is a personal matter, if you choose to celebrate it, then go ahead and if you strongly believe it goes against your belief then don't. I think it is merely a communication problem. I think they think that these couples are celebrating "love" in the bedroom and that is what they are trying to prevent. But for the majority of these couples, they are just rich people, or sometimes poor people pretending to be rich to buy gifts and cards at sky high prices.
I understand that JAWI, JAIS and the likes of it have been doing their rounds and getting tip offs from the society or insiders about these Maksiat cases trying to catch umarried couples who are comitting sins. But what I don't get are the below, conveniently numbered for you:
1) Why are all these Malay Muslim couples still dumb enough to do it the night before or on Valentine's day, I mean come on, it is either a) you don't read the newspaper or b) you think you are invisible. I mean, come on, pick another day that is not so obvious.
2) You know the targeted areas that are covered by these authorities ;close compounds, dark secluded areas and parks, cheap hotels, so tell me why do you still choose these places? Do you think they will find you in Marriot Hotel or Mandarin Oriental? I doubt it. These OPS cases have been done over the past few years, and still these couples head to the same area. So you telling me no money? Can celebrate Valentine's what...sure got money.
But, I also don't get these so called religious authorities who:
1)Bring a video camera, and then gladly show it to the public. I was just watching on TV3, there are "other' people who followed the cameraman, and used his own personal handphone to capture a video/ picture of these couples. I bet you this will go up on youtube and further embarass these couples.
2) And you are not allowed to spy in Islam anyway. In the news that I saw, a man was seen trying to peep below the door. "Surah Al-Hujuraat: O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion, Indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another."
3) And these authorities answer back by saying they are trying to teach them a lesson. More often than not, these videos get published online. And do you think these teenagers/young man/old uncle who watch them are actually learning from it? I don't think so!
All I'm saying there are other ways to do it, not by exposing on national television and further embarassing these couples. Why do these authorities allow other people to capture these couples pictures on their own personal handphone?
I only enjoy celebrating birthdays because on your birthday you get treats from Body Shop, Starbucks and some of the shops you're a member of. what do you get on valentine's day?
6 comments:
agree :D
AD: kan? ;D
mix fm actually celebrated today : valentine's day as "the single awareness day". so i guess, its just about reminding me of being single and how heaven it is.hahaha
couldnt agree more .. even if its not valentines, the maksiat is happening everyday everywhere .. why make it special to catch all the people sinning on one particular day? and of course like u pointed out, why must go extra special on this one day? buang masa jer laa hahah ..
hubs and I don't celebrate, we call it a holiday for the card companies, lol. I personally don't need to spend a bunch of money to tell someone I love them, especially when we should be expressing our love every day, not just on holidays.
Aside from my own personal thoughts, I do find the authorities doing this in Malaysia a bit off. Video tape people doing sexual things and post it on the internet? Isn't that just saying porn is ok? LOL!! Ok, maybe not that extreme, but still. They want to prevent one ill and they end up causing another. Like you said, people who watch these videos are not learning a lesson, they are being voyeurs.
Nuha: yesss i heard about it in one of the stations couldnt remember which one!!
AJ: yea but i just dont get why couples r dumb to do it on this day
Sarah: yeah everything is doubled so buy it the next day! yeah the authorities can be a bit shite!! hahaha
Post a Comment