Sometimes I feel like banging my head on the table because I am Malaysian (eh but I still love my country no matter what ok!)
I went for breakfast in one of the golf clubs in Shah Alam this morning and ordered Iced Tea. What came on my table was a muddy coloured drink, which I instantly knew was Teh Ais. This my friend, is literal translation gone wrong or I am too "Irish" now to have not noticed it.
The thing is, Teh Ais is tea with condensed milk, but what I wanted was Tea with ice in it, or Teh O Ais in malay. Give me a break, I just got back from Dublin last week!
I don't know what Teh O Ais is in English. For the benefit of my non malay speaking readers, there are differences between Teh O Ais and Teh Ais. The former is in the form of tea without milk and the latter is, as mentioned , with Milk.
Ok I've never had the need to translate them when ordering because at your local mapley, you just tell the Ane (brother in Indian) which one you desire. Should it be "Iced O Tea?" or just
"Aneeee...tehhh wooooo waissss satuuu"!
Image Source
I went for breakfast in one of the golf clubs in Shah Alam this morning and ordered Iced Tea. What came on my table was a muddy coloured drink, which I instantly knew was Teh Ais. This my friend, is literal translation gone wrong or I am too "Irish" now to have not noticed it.
The thing is, Teh Ais is tea with condensed milk, but what I wanted was Tea with ice in it, or Teh O Ais in malay. Give me a break, I just got back from Dublin last week!
I don't know what Teh O Ais is in English. For the benefit of my non malay speaking readers, there are differences between Teh O Ais and Teh Ais. The former is in the form of tea without milk and the latter is, as mentioned , with Milk.
Ok I've never had the need to translate them when ordering because at your local mapley, you just tell the Ane (brother in Indian) which one you desire. Should it be "Iced O Tea?" or just
"Aneeee...tehhh wooooo waissss satuuu"!
Image Source


2 comments:
OMG hahaha!!! I was living on Teh Tarik Ais when I was in Malaysia. Big difference!
Thanks for that it makes sense to call it Teh Tarik Ais to not confuse people!! Heheh..yeahh totally big difference...!
Post a Comment