Pages

Sunday, January 30

Finally, something about what's been happening.

 Hello,

I realised I have not updated much about whatever that has been going on in my life right now. But from all the updates of the photo challenges, you would imagine I have a lot of free time right? Yes it is true, but I have not felt that boredom just yet. Maybe because being surrounded by my family is what I have been wanting for the longest time. There is no counting how many days,weeks or hours till I need to leave for Perak or Dublin. And there is no pressure trying to split my body into 4 to be at one place at a time. Such is the leisure of having time.

Being home also means I have more time to catch up with some old friends. But have I done that? Nope, I didn't. I have met those few people that I've always met whenever I am back for my holidays but at a more frequent basis. I have also managed to meet up with some of my friends from Perak at a friend's wedding. Did I feel lost? Maybe just a little, but I did my part and talked to everyone I knew and asked of their well-being, jobs and whatnot. And then, the compulsory question being heard at every table, "when is your turn?" "kau bila lagi?", is being answered with "aha...hek hek hek", just like how Ted from How I Met Your Mother laughs every time he sees/hear about a naked woman.


I have also started sending out my CVs after being pressured by my family. I had one agent calling and interviewing me. It's actually a pretty funny interview because it's a Chinese lady who is Malaysian of course, who speaks with a typical Malaysian Chinese accent. And knowing me,  I adjust to situations accordingly and I tend to follow the speaker's rhythm. So there I was, replying to her with my most Malaysian slang, complete with the usual Lahs, ekcelli ha, No no, cannot liddat , when she told me how the interview with Company X will be conducted. 

Lady: "If you are shortlisted, you will be interviewed by the European Manager ok."
Me: Ok.
Lady:" You must listen propry (properly), their accent is different, sometimes abit difficult to understand, so you must listen carefully."
Me: -__- Of course.
And there I was thinking, did she go through my CV or not? Did she not realise I worked in Europe for over 3 years and of course I will know that Europeans have different accents. I mean even if you are Brazilian or Canadian, you will have a different accent.

Lady: Cannot speak lah lah lah, I noticed you like to speak with Lah lah.
Me: Haha, because I'm talking to you mah..
Lady:Hahahahah you so naughty, aiyaa but remember ah, no speaking with Malay accent if you are malay, if you chinese, no chinese accent and so forth. If you can put European accent, better.
Me:Oh ok.

So I just thought that it was funny, but yes it was my fault. I should have treated everyone as if they are Europeans, I cannot be double standard and choose with whom I speak with or without a Malaysian accent to. Speaking like another person does not mean it is the right. way kan?

1 comment:

FAIZUL said...

good luck with the interview. hahaha