Pages

Thursday, October 14

A letter to my 11 year old self.

Well hello there young one.

I can't believe it has been 14 years already. Wow, I don't even know where to start,there's so many things to catch up on and there's so many lies that need to be straightened.

Firstly well done for being a good kid in school. Look where it has brought you. I mean, you did not turn out to be a straight A student, but just so you know, you'll manage a few A's here and there and would eventually make our parents proud of us at some stage in our life. Nope, I am not telling you when, cos if I did, it'll make you lazy and you might turn to be a slacker.

So tell me, what do you think of my hairstyle now? Pretty awesome isn't it? Let me tell you this, never ever take the advice from your 50 years old headmistress about hairstyles. I heard she told you that you have a very nice hair. I mean look at you, an 11 year old, with a spiral curl right down the forehead.What were you thinking? Sheesh. You have to learn how to tell your Mom that you don't want a haircut and would want to keep it long. She doesn't understand curly hair. All she wants to see is that your Alleycat inspired hair is trimmed to a certain inch above your head.

Ok, now, don't be sad, I didn't say your hair is ugly. All I'm saying, if t's a little nicer, you wouldn't get people searching for their scissors from your "nest". Now, stop feeling sad.I know that you are always a sensitive girl but you always try to hide it. But it's okay to cry too you know.

Your life, 14 years down the road, will be a pretty straight road with only the occasional bumpy ride. You will lose your beloved grandmother the year you turn 12. She will ask you to join her on a trip to Langkawi this year but you will refuse to go with her because you want to enjoy your Class party with your best friend. A stupid class party so that you get to play with the balloons and dress up to school. How selfish. Have you had known that, that would be her last trip, I hope you would change your mind. It's okay, I forgive you,you were 11. But seriously? You are not even best friends with Veevern anymore. Thank god your brother and aunt went with her.

In life you will need to learn to prioritize. You would also need to slow down and take your time and please, do not rush to be an adult. There are reasons why our parents keep telling us that our student life will be the best days of our life. I can guarantee you that now. Enjoy that Tamagochi a little longer. It is okay to still like Barney and Sesame street at your age. You should still continue reading, in fact, do not worry about asking Dad to buy you a story book every week. He can claim that from the Tax department. Now Tax...that is a very huge word for you to understand at this age,but you'll be pissed knowing the amount you have contributed to the Irish government!

Anyway, stop worrying so much, there's little you can do as an 11 year old. Sometimes I think you have been way too nice. You worry about spending your parent's money way too much. Oh my god, now I know why I am an accountant. You are so nerdy!

Anyway, that's a little bit too much info for you to digest in a single day and I'm afraid you need to go to bed now. Now go along, finish up your homework or Miss Yong will make you stand outside of the Classroom.You are a prefect remember? We will continue our talk tomorrow ok? In the mean time, will you kiss Grandma for me and tell her that I miss her very much. It will be 16 days until her 13th death anniversary.

Yours truly,
At 25 years old.

This post was written as a challenge from one of my high school frienda. I will write more to myself, and hey, why don't you give it a try too, it is quite fun.

6 comments:

June Malik said...

l looove this Mimi, genius and very well written .. now i must find which self of mine i want to write to ha ha

ARZ said...

Very well written my little baby. I honestly thought you reproduced someone's writing. But as the sentences flow through, it could not be someone else' cos it IS actually your past.

You know, you can also be a lawyer. Your ability to recall the past events is truly amazing!

oops did I just say that? said...

AJ:Thank you..Hehe why don't u write the year you turned 25. Still young but not too young...

Abah: OIshh thank you..It is my past, I think I remember past events because I think hard before doing something. Which can be both good and bad!

Anonymous said...

very well written embi!:)

Anonymous said...

Mi, org tua je ingat cerita lama lama hehe.In your case its good memory kan.

oops did I just say that? said...

Thanks Aqim.

Ibu I am not old ok..I got good memory only lah