Pages

Wednesday, August 25

It's my 25th birtday on August 25th!


So I am 25 on August 25th this year. It oughta mean something when you are a quarter of a century old today.Not quite like the egg, but definitely flavourful.

(a card all the way from Australia from Alice)

Ok since Coffeeandcurls is not known to write sad sappy stories, I shall not type another text-book entry to tell you how I feel, because it would make me go all teary-eyed.


I have always wondered what it would be like to turn 25. Hmmm it felt exactly like how it did when I was 24 and a half years old. Maybe I've grown a little sideways, hmm.?Maybe I am more matured in thinking? Hmm. No oso? . Just maybe I am little more content with life. But still, I have a lot of things I would want to do before I turn 26. And than there's that Bucket List to strike off before I return to Motherland.


1) Watch either Hurling or Rugby in Croke Park

2) Watch any concert in O2.

3) Watch Riverdance

4) Visit South of France

5) Visit Greece

6) Visit the Empire State Building

7) Buy a car


and the list goes on.


Anyway last year's birthday also fell during the month of Ramadhan and my housemate baked me a cake and the others made dinner. As for this year's birthday dinner, I've requested for a steamboat do for berbuka ( I prefer to call it berbuka than Iftar). We made a pact that no surprises are to be made, but heck, with these girls, you'll never know. They bought a chocolate cadbury chocolate cake for moi, complete with smarties and oreos as decorations. Too sweet!


When we were younger,on our birthdays, my grandmother will give some donations (bananas included) to a mosque somewhere near Kampung Baru. Why all the way there? Because we have a relative who is like an "ahli masjid" who would do all the changing of RM30 into 50cents coins to be distributed to the kids who came to the mosque regularly. And she'd give more money to this relative of mine to make pulut kuning to be sent to the Masjid. At the end of the week or so, we'd all mandi air tolak bala. (don't know how to explain it, but it's air yang orang baca yassin).

I only ever celebrated my birthday once in Kindergarten. I never quite like having big birthdays because I am afraid friends will not attend my party. You see, I was traumatised when I was in Standard 1. My friend Raja Elena had invited me to her birthday, but just by saying "Come lah for my birthday". There was no invitation card. She came to school on Monday and told me nobody came to her birthday party. I felt really bad, but being a kid, I asked her for a goodie bag since I thought, What the heck, nobody came wat.?

And then, there was the case of my cousin too, who had planned for a big birthday and almost nobody came. Many thoughts came to my head then and it sorta put me off on the ideas of birthday parties.

With birthdays come presents. But the only memory I have was receiving a KRU cassette from Chan Vee Vern when I was 10 and a guitar with buttons that looks like smarties. They were awesome and I loved it because for once I could pretend that I was a singer. Sigh. Guitar Hero probably got the idea from them!



Just so you know, 25 years ago, on this same day, it was Hari Raya Qurban or Hari Raya Aidil Adha. My mom was basically in the labour room when everyone else was out and about celebrating Raya Haji. Hence I have Adha and Aida in my friends lists who share the same birth day and year as me.


As for Shamimi, apparently AJ suggested that name and my mom thought it was a good idea to call me me me. I mean me me. Me!


Happy birthday 25th birthday me! C'mon don't you want to wish me too? It'll totally make my day that bit more special. :D

ps-Rachel Bilson and err Mawi shares the same birthday.
pps-my dad's alarm didn't go off on my birthday . so much for technology! Haha.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mi, when AJ gave alist of names to choose from ,i kind of like the rhyme meme.Its like i can forever call u like a baby who is forever cute u know mcm panggil kucing hahaha..Luv my baby yang jauh di mata ...tapi dekat dan rindu di hati.I will buy the pisang for u and send it to masjid.Moga hidup di rahmati Allah insyaallah...

June Malik said...

Me me, I will always be part of you kan? and i am glad for that .. happy birthday sayang and may you celebrate it many times over .. may god bless you always! and I agree with ibu, its so cute ..and matches a cute person with a cuter personality ! love, hugs and kisses, AJ

Anonymous said...

happy birthday momoi!!miss u!but will see you soon!

Shahirah Elaiza said...

Happy 25th Birthday!! Hope you have a blessed day and many many more birthdays to come inshaAllah. Yayyy you're a Virgo like me!

Haha I can't believe you mentioned KRU, it feels like aaaages ago since I last heard that name.

But um yes, Greece is definitely in my to-visit list! Greek guys are so.... hmm I shall not mention since it's Ramadhan =)

Hafizah said...

Yuhuuu!!
Happy Birthday to you!
Best Wishes..

Hafizah.

oops did I just say that? said...

Ibu: Why u want to call me like a kucing??! sob sob
AJ: You are right AJ! Thanks for the suggestions!
Anon: THanks Cicim
Shahirah:Of course Virgo Rules!! Ahhh Yess KRU..those were the days!
Hafizah: Thanks Babe!! Kalau sempat kita jumpa ok?!

nurnuha said...

its good to know someone shares the birth month with me..happy birthday to you! all the best wishes life could bring, Insyallah..

nurnuha said...

hehe..yes2 mimi! :D mine is coming in 24 hours insyaallah..virgorians rawk! haha.and yeah..johorians..ibu is so motherly right? :D

oops did I just say that? said...

Nuha: Thanks and a happy birthday!!..yes I call my mom ibu too!!

Anonymous said...

Mimi HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY!From the chocolate cake and steamboat I guess you had a jolly good time with your friends. I cant believe its already 25 years....I always tell ppl mimi is only 22 or 23. Btw the reason Tok always give pisang or money to the masjid is for us to share our birthday with the less fortunate. i hope the tradition continues. Your present will wait till we meet in KL in December ok?

oops did I just say that? said...

Acu: Hahaha u can keep telling them I am 23!! Yay mimi dpt present !!!