Or, you can be like my friends and I, by replicating the menu yourself at home, with whatever ingredients they sell in the Asian stores. Nevermind that the desicated coconut tastes like plastic. >_<
We've done Murtabak before, but never got around showing you the outcome of it. Usually it gets wolfed down in a matter of seconds. *shy*. In a short span of one week, we made murtabak twice. For the benefit of any non-malay speaking readers(as if I have any), Murtabak is a meat,potato and egg dish cooked in curry powder and haniens (Onions). It is then wrapped in a pastry like crust, similar to roti canai , for those unfamiliar with roti canai, you don't know what you are missing in life. Hehe.
I don't know where this dish originated from, but having a Johorean grandmother and mother, we only eat Murtabak Singapore. It's different from your average murtabak because it's kinda crispy on the outisde. *salivates* . For those wanting to try Murtabak Singapore you can go to USJ 10, opposite the library, they sell them there and it is to DIE FOR.
Anyway, I'll show you how it's made, Perantau style, with Kulit Popiah. Oh yeah. Didn't I tell you we are geniuses when it comes to food?
That is yours truly, tebaring the kulit popiah. You may this skip this step because we only took this picture to give the WAHHHH HO KENG ahhh effect.
That is of course yours truly again, donning the Camelia style turban wrap, complete with hoop earrings stirring the magic ingredients. Ghetto lah konon(gotta keep my hair in place ekcelli).
I was trying to figure out if I should increase the salt or not, but I realised I look like a wannabe Datin with my index finger pointing like that. And yes that is a Milo Packet and a Rice Cooker behind me. So Malaysian I know.
Does it whet your appetite already? The recipe comes from Amna, which I suspect was googled from Mesra. Net.
That is how you fold your murtabak into little square biteable(haaa so big ah your mouth?) sizes.
Ok, all neatly folded, we got about 15 pieces altogether to serve a party of 6.
And you add in a little bit of oil on a skillet pan to pan fry it? Oh God, my explanation sucks, but you understand what I'm saying right?
Voila..Bon Appetit. Ya sorry no dslr canggih to take pro looking pictures.Because we are not fans of those sweetend onions that they eat with Murtabak, we didn't make one but instead dipped these in Sos Cili. Hehehe. You cannot take the Cili away from the Malaysian!
Recipe
250gm minced meat
potatoes (2 large ones)
4 eggs(cholestrollllll)
shallots ke red onion ( 1 big one)
meat curry powder (2tbsp)
chilli powder(1tbsp)
salt to taste
Steps in order of sequence. Shallots, meat, curry powder, chilli powder. Pause jap, stirrr until the curry cookes? (entah Amna kata camtu so ikut je) potatoes,salt. Beat the egg in separate bowl and when the meat is ready and you are ready to fold the murtabak, pour in the egg. Pan fry.
EAT till you heart is content! Jangan lupa Terawih..

12 comments:
mot. 2 tblspn curry powder mix jadi paste. masuk after bwg layu and kacau smp pecah minyak. hence the merah2 mak ngah kaler. as oppose tu oren2 jingga semlm. itu sbb tak pecah minyak. sekadar pecah lemak. eh lame.
i ade letak sos tiram sedikit + seasoning penambah perisa ape ntah dlm kabinet sos u.
bwg putih + daun sup is optional. mengikut citarasa.
and if you find berlebih inti tp tak cukup kulit popia, u could always do dumpling-like murtabak. creative kan?
ps- memandai ckp i google mesra.net. itu resipi turun temurun keturunan mongolia i.
heheeh i remember when i was in france we made karipaps using popia skin gak, called it popap LOL .. ur murtabak looks yummy !
Haha, best murtabak Singapura is right before the bridge heading to Muar. Swear to god.
a,mna:thanks, laink kali supervise, bukan duduk main BB
aj:so everybody uses popoiah skin. murtapop! ho yeah!
aida: yeah dulu kalau balik johor there's this place we will have to place orders in the morning baru dpt malam tu. can't remember where though!
next time i come over, sila buat murtabak daging kambing ye.. droooolll.. pastu kuah kari. double drooolll.
Momoi,
Thot you wrapped the murtabak with plastic! Looked so plasticy before frying.
Lain pulak after frying, looks ready for sale at PARAM
you got that right Miss Aida! the best murtabak singapore IS before the bridge going towards Muar town!
oihhh terasa nak balik kampung makan murtabak lah!
Abah: ehh penat lah mimi tebar kulit murtabaka!! :D
Hana:Oh ramai rupanya anak2/cucu2 orang Johor!! The closest you can get is in USJ 10. Hehe. Ok now go get it!!
oh nowadays many malaysian murtabak hawkers also use popiah pastry. i guess they're not so into tebar roti anymore T__T
kreatif! pasni roti john plak :D
Mimi,selamat berpuasa.. hope it s not tooooo late to wish u.. hehehe
Btw, lawa la serban kau... buat demo mcm mana nak pakai ;)
Clarky Afif: Realllyyy?? Ohhhh if I were to go to bazar, I want the original stuff!! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Babe: Thanks Babe! Ok nanti aku try resipi lain2 aku tepek kat blog nih. Hehehe. Selamat puasa to u too!!
Heheh nanti aku ajar kau camne nak buat. senang gila. hehe.
mine in Pasir Puteh. haha. ya imajinasi saja tapi nak sangatlah jadi realiti bwahahaha
Post a Comment