Pages

Monday, July 20

Happy Birthday Dad!

I didn't quite realise that tomorrow, July 21, 2009 would be my Abah's 59th birthday! No, not the date that got me startled, but the fact that my dad would be 59 (but of course looks and behave no where near 39 *coughs*)


I've done some post in respect of his birthday and father's day before, but since he is my Dad, I will write another different post in honour of his birthday. I am not sure what he has in store this year, if he wants to do another Cycling around Peninsular in 21 days, or better, Cycling around Asia in 60 days next year! Hoho.


And as always, I like to relive the memories of my childhood that my parents might not have remembered or those that my siblings and I have kept a secret as to not receive a spanking. But heh, other than my 1st brother, none of us ever received a spanking. The dilated pupils and footsteps would have stopped us in our track.


There is this one incident that I remember because of my dad's diplomacy in handling his children. See, at such a young age, I've been exposed to diplomacy. Hehe. Where my eldest brother is residing, used to be the computer cum study room. We didn't use the room much after the days of Pac Man on MS Dos computer died. So to feed our creative minds, we did what children our age do best.


We scribbled on the wall with ABC, and of course, like any other proud kid who wanted to be praised, we showed our Dad (who just returned from work) our ABC on the wall. "Abah, abah tengok ni, dah hafal ABC.". Of course the A, B and C being the largest alphabets and the following alphabets resembled worms crawling into holes. Coloured A B C, and where we got it wrong, there was a long line crossing it out.


" Ya Allah, tak boleh conteng kat sini, nak conteng, conteng kat kertas kosong." I don't remember being spanked or scolded for the masterpiece. He probably was lost for words because yelling would not undo our actions but instead make his blood go upstairs.
So the following day, as soon as I heard my dad at the sliding door, I shouted " Abah, tengok ni, harini tak conteng pun kat dinding" while tugging his hand to make sure he noticed that we did not scribble the wall. Giler nak ambik hati balik sebab semalam dah rasa bersalah.

I kid you not, we did not scribble anymore after that. I wonder what would happen if he had instead shouted and spanked us, I think we would have rebelled and created a bigger canvas.

We were probably too good as kids and I strongly believe that caning, spanking or slapping does not necessary mean discipline. It's proven!

One thing that my Dad absolutely cannot stand is noise. He absolutely hates it when we are gege in the car, especially when it's an 8 hour drive back to Kelantan. One sudden screeching brake to the side of the road would make us shut up and behave...for a good 10 minutes. My siblings and I, pinpointing to each other siapa yang start dulu.... but in most cases, it would be Aqim, my second brother who is the ketua sakat.

Being an RMC graduate, he instilled discipline on us the manly ways. Yes, the girls are not spared the military discipline. Mow the lawn, paint the house, wash the car and only had air conditioner installed in our rooms after 16 years.

Speaking of the air-cond, this would be my fondest memory of my childhood. You know how difficult is to wake up at 6.30 in the morning for subuh prayers, and like most Dads, would wake us up in ways that would cause heart attack to our sleepy souls. Back then my parents had the brown coloured air-conditioner where the switch is attached to the walls. One press on the switch, would awake the household. It was that loud and bergetar. The footsteps will follow suit and you will hear the banging of the doors in a matter of seconds. " Dah BANGUN dah", we would groggily shout in unison, just to steal an extra wink. Didja think he was going to buy it? Of course not, he would keep banging on the door until he is satisfied that you would wake up for your Subuh prayers.

" I don't know how you all will be when you stay on your own. bla bla bla" he would go on and on and made sure he was heard, loud and clear. Yes, Dad.

So anyway Dad, hope you have a good one on your birthday! Pralines and Cream will follow suit from my siblings.Hihi, I'm too far away to buy you one!

Cheers,
your daughter






9 comments:

ARZ said...

Hi Mimi,

So sweet of you to pen your thoughts on discipline and the military-like upbringing.

It is always my hope that you all have benefitted from the regime as I had benefitted in my earlier life.

I spent my birthday morning in the gym while bubu golfed with her buddies. 1 year down the road I will be in my 60's and Praline n Cream hopefully can still my favorite vice!

Anonymous said...

Emi!im not the ketua sakat ok!:P

anyways we celebrated abah's bday at nandos coz he wanted to makan ayam and we had seekor chicken!abah did la i only makan salad:P. our birthday boy is so spoiled!hehehe

Anonymous said...

Mi, as i recollect those days when u were younger,u were i think his favourite.Nay he never once beat u.But u r one who responded to his jokes and humour n he enjoys that.And of course your report card are always in blue.See no reason to spank u haha....

Al-Manar said...

At least twice during our past conversations your dad mentioned you - I will not tell you whether lovingly or otherwise, unless it is for a fee!

I do not think you, being less than half his age, know him as much as I do because I am much much older than him, hence I see him in total - not a bad guy at all, I must say. I wish him well always.

oops did I just say that? said...

Hi Pakcik (Al Manar)

Thanks for your kinds wishes for my old man.

I could PAY you a visit if and when I do go to the east coast as an exchange for the information.hehe, or if and when I decide, I can take up the challenge to cycle to the east.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday uncle:D

Mimi, aku rasa tak sempat pergi Dublin la. Postpone next year:P.. frust masa kau kat Liverpool trak semp[at jumpe


(ape2 pas ni kalau nak dtg aku contact kau dulu:D)

afandiyusof said...

happy birthday uncle...

p/s: mimi...aku dah tgk gambar ko kt blog bpk ko....huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Unknown said...

uncle ramli, happy birthday!

we had praline and cream on ur behalf. =)

Anonymous said...

viagra pill uk alternative viagra viagra blood pressure viagra oral jelly how does viagra work is there a female viagra viagra pills where to buy viagra viagra lawyers buy viagra soft online 2007 viagra hmo viagra alternatives buy sublingual viagra online lowest price viagra