
My cousin gave birth to this bundle of joy last weekend, and she was given the name Rania Shafina. As quoted by Amna and experiencing it myself, I wonder why do babies look cute and adorable with chubby arms and chubby face, but it's disastrous if you have big arms and chubby face when you are in you teens.
Rania. I don't know what the meaning of the name is in Islam, but I think it should be similiar to Raihan.Kids nowadays, they have such modern and funky names, that even their parents have difficulty in pronouncing their names.0_o
I know of a Malaysian, Malay baby born in Dublin, whose name is Aoife, but the pronounciation is Ifa, yes, just like Ifa Raziah. But I can imagine, if she was back in Malaysia and you get the typical Cikgu Siti Norbaharom with the superlong yellow ruler, you will be called Aufi, despite telling her numerous times that your name is Ifa.
There is also a another Malay baby that I know who has Aidan as his first name. That is not so much of a problem because in Malay you will be called Ay Dan, and in Dublin you will be called Ay Den. So Cikgu Siti tak confuse.
Yes, I have told you guys in numerous entries how the pronounciaiton and the spelling of Irish names are rather peculiar and tongue twisting that I get amazed when I hear a new name with a really weird spelling. I was in Arnotts the other day,looking at the keychains with Irish names.While looking all confused with the spelling and pronounciaiton , an old lady came up to me and taught me the correct pronounciation.
So here we have some typical Irish names, which you guys most certainly should keep and eye on, and I, admittedly have mispronounced these names a dozen times while liasing with the local Irish. Not my fault, I don't know Gaelic.
Eibhlín , is Evelyn. (ths is quite common among Chinese Malaysian)
Aoibhinn is Ee-veen
Caoimhe is Kee-va.
Aine is Onya (at least kalau kat Malaysia, cikgu mesti panggil Ainiiiii)
This one is rather weird, Éanna, and the pronounciaiton is ENDA. I don't know where the sound of D is coming from. Like after looking and spelling out Irish names, I made a conclusion that any spelling with a BH sounds like V.Ok, so if Sinead is prounounce as Sher Ned, then how about Cináed?
I bet you guys think it's Ker Net ( ehh kenet?). but no, it's jeng jeng jeng Kenneth! Hahaha. I can go on and on about it.
Saoirse ha, ni nama glamer orang nama Sasha
Laoise pula adalah Lee-Sha
Niamh adalah Neev.
Yes, I do need to be familiar with these names because I need to, from time to time, call an Irish person, and I will be all tongue-tied not knowing how to prounounce his or her name.I know how it feels if someone gets your name wrong, but Shamimi? Oh come on, somebody called me and say "Shahim, Shermi, HmmMimi,and the classic Shamini? And lately, Sashimi??? That's only because they recently have a taste of all things oriental.
ihsan dari
www.namenerds.com/irish/
www.babynamesofireland.com/
7 comments:
wonder apa la orang panggil si afandi tu ek hehehehe
mi, kalau nama mimi mwsti spelling nya caemimi.ya lah mi kalau nama rafeq mesti bunyi rafeque.
mi, kalau nama mimi mwsti spelling nya caemimi.ya lah mi kalau nama rafeq mesti bunyi rafeque.
The baby is beautiful!!
hahaha kelakar la pronounciation ni
like my niece, Adelle orang sebut "adil"
horror!:P
hmmm mcm mana lah raqim jadi cicim.
mimiiiii u better find out the gaelic way of spelling alia baizura.
hi mimi,
tnx for the baju.
i really appreciate it,,
-k.ina-
Post a Comment