
As I was enjoying my hot cup of tea,I heard a rendition of Julie London's Cry Me A River. To my disbelief,it was my next door Hungarian neighbour. Her voice was absolutely amazing, I would have thought I had lived next door to a legendary jazz singer.
For a moment, with the rain drizzling on to the pavement,and with a tea in one hand, I felt, like I was in a scene from a foreign romance film. I stayed on a little longer at the balcony because I really liked her voice, and had wanted to make sure it wasn't from a CD player, or mp3.
And as I finished my last drop of tea, I did the unexpected. I applaused! They were startled, and I just had to ask her , if it was really her singing, or the radio. They seem surprised but excited that I had clapped. I told her that I thought she could really sing, and that I had thought it was a radio. She was all shy and smily, and told me that it was really her singing.She apologised for waking me up.(or so she thought.). I had wanted to drag the conversation, and probably invite them for a taste of my Laksa, but I decided not to.
So i said my goodnight, and left her to continue serenading her boyfriend/husband, while I, smile,finally having a feel of "life in a foreign country"
No comments:
Post a Comment